This site uses Cookies

Thursday, March 17, 2022

A FAMILY APPENDIX TO MOM'S STORY

 THE FOLLOWING IS A LOVING TRIBUTE TO MY MOTHER FROM HER SISTER-IN-LAW, NANCY, in celebration of her BIRTHDAY!

Most sincerely, and with pleasant memory I can best express my affection for Wilma, in four simple words and an added exclamation mark . . .
 
"I really liked Wilma!" 

In my teenage years I paid little attention to family friendship. I suppose I was 'too into myself' to notice what was happening in the lives of others; so I don't recall any significant conversations with Wilma.  But later, after marrying and having children of my own, I matured enough to truly appreciate visits with relatives.

Wilma was always friendly. She made me feel welcomed and 'at ease'. It seemed that there were never any of those awkward moments of silence when you'd tax your brain to find something to say.  Having a husband and six kids gave Wilma a busy and purposeful life! So there was always some funny little incident or mishap for her to mention; and she, in turn, gave others engaged in the conversation their fair share of time to relate their stories as well. 

I loved her humor  and remember well her frequent laughter. Even today, it brings a smile to my face when I remember her using a silly little phrase: "Oh, for Peetee sakes!"  Seems like she'd commonly use that phrase in response to insignificant whimpering, complaining or inconvenient mishaps.  Once, she sent me a very humorous greeting card with 'financial aid' enclosed from her and her kids.  It was really a time of sorrow for me, but the laughter brought on by the humorous card was like medicine to a weary soul! I kept that card. Today I took it out of a drawer and laughed heartily over it again
😊. What a blessing it has been to me!

Wilma also had a knack for laughing at our own ability to 'fumble' and self-create difficult predicaments
πŸ˜„. Nevertheless, I saw in her a true concern for the hardships that confront all of us 'now-and-then' ; and I know she reached out often to help family members in the midst of their struggles.

I sadly regret her own serious health issues toward the end of her life and wish that I had taken the time to write or call her once in a while during those difficult days.

There is yet one more thing in tribute to Wilma I would like to mention . . . and that is her cooking skills
πŸ‘πŸ». My children and I were always delighted to be the recipients of her freshly baked dinner rolls with cheese! Those rolls were WONDERFUL πŸ€—! They were, indeed, a 'comfort' food offered as a warm expression of her hospitality.

And speaking just for myself, I thoroughly enjoyed her Jel-lo salad made with grated carrots!
 
And lastly, I would say that I  look joyfully forward to the coming great reunion of our family in heaven.

The list of family members already there is long and growing longer. But when we meet again in heaven, there will be no hardships to discuss and no sadness to interrupt our joy! 
 
Thank you, Aunt Nancy, for that loving tribute to my mother, and to all those who contributed to my post and the loving memories you all shared! 

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful tribute. She captured her description perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining us. Please leave a comment.

Today's Post

What Is It Like to Die?

                                                        Donald E. Unzicker, 1 June 1956 - 19 October 2022 What is it like to die? We los...